Frequently Asked Questions


What are my inspection options for an established property?

Our most common inspection package is a Comprehensive combined building, structural and termite inspection.  This will report on the structural integrity of the home and whether or not there are any visible signs of termite/timber pest activity.  In addition to this you will receive the full details of any maintenance or other building issues that you may like brought to your attention.

If you would prefer just to know the bare basics (which is pretty much all that is covered if you have signed a standard REIWA contract to purchase a house), we offer a Simple inspection option which includes a review of the Structural items and a Termite inspection.

The details of what is included in each of these, along with the price of each option, will be outlined in your Quote email.

If you would like something specific to be included, please ensure you mention this in writing so we can advise whether or not it is possible.

Can you assist with my PCI?

Yes! Practical Completion Inspections (PCIs) are the final sign off you do with your builder before the completion of the contract. Many builders prefer a “middle-man” who is working for the client but understands the obligations of a building contract.

How long will I have to wait to get the report?

You will normally have the report the next business day. Please let us know if you need it sooner and we will do our best to oblige.

How do I arrange an inspection?

To book an inspection, simply email us at and we will advise on the next steps.

You will need the following details:

For an inspection of an established property

  • Property address

For a building stage inspection (including PCI)

  • Property address
  • Set of plans

How do I pay?

For most inspections we will send you an invoice the week following your inspection.  This will include our bank details for a simple bank transfer.  It will also have a link to pay by credit card, but there is a small surcharge for this.

Certain inspections require a deposit upfront.

Payment details will be included in your Quote email.

I’m a bit concerned about a crack in my house. What can I do?

Just ask. Ideally, take a few photos and send us an e-mail explaining the situation. We will let you know if there is reason for concern and if so, what to do. This doesn’t cost anything.

Do you get involved in conflict resolution with a builder?

Yes we do. Andrew has been on both sides of the building relationship and understands the stresses that come about when expectations are not delivered. His Technical & Legal knowledge combined with expert mediation skills ensure a great outcome for everyone involved.

If you are considering a case with the Builders Commission, please speak to us first for some friendly advise on options you may like to consider.

The selling agent says I can’t have a building inspection – is this right?

It may well be. It will depend on the conditions in the offer contract you signed. Please see Do I need to do anything when putting in an offer to buy a property.

What qualifications do you need to issue a report on structural integrity?

Here’s the thing – you don’t need any! There is no governing body checking the suitability of the qualifications of anyone issuing reports and signing off on building and structural defects or issues. It really is a case of “buyer beware”. Personally, we would recommend that you should check that a person selling you such a service is at a very minimum, a registered builder and holds adequate insurance cover.

All registered builders are controlled and monitored by the Building Commission (formerly Builders Registration Board) which is part of the Department of Commerce. You can find a list of all registered builders here. This also shows how long they have been registered which gives you an idea of the experience they may have had.

Do I need to do anything when putting in an offer to buy a property?

This is the tricky part. Your rights and obligations are all tied up when you sign the “Offer and Acceptance to purchase” with the agent of the house seller.

The standard assumption of this document is that you are buying the house “as seen”. That is in the ten minutes you were in the home open. Please ensure any offer you put in is “subject to a STRUCTURAL, BUILDING MAINTENANCE and PEST inspection, to your satisfaction, on all structures on the property”.

Often the standard clause the agents add in is only the structural elements of the dwelling itself and excludes all other areas including garages, pergolas, shed etc.

In the booming property market of the past, people were afraid to add conditions to building offers as they were instantly turned down. The market is different now and it is important to protect yourself.

Can I have an inspection before I put in an offer to purchase?

This is called a pre-purchase inspection and we do offer these. You may need to liaise with the seller or their agent to see if this is acceptable to them.

The advantage of this is you know what you are signing up for before you commit to anything. Some agents have these prepared as part of their marketing material to sell a property.

I’m buying a new-ish home, do I need a termite inspection?

Yes! Many people think a new home, built of brick, in Perth must be safe. Please see this article about a garage roof structure completely eaten away by termites.

What is more this can fall outside of the “home” definition in the standard REIWA offer and acceptance contract and would not be reason to seek remedy. Please see the details on the conditions in the purchase contract.

Do you perform termite or other pest sprays?

No. We only report on what we find. If it is recommended to perform a pest spray, this will need to be arranged independently & we can suggest or recommend the right spray, injection or dusting people for the issue exposed at the time.

We are not trying to sell pest extermination treatments unnecessarily.